Obtaining Substitute Teacher Credentials

Human Resources will assist applicants with obtaining or renewing Substitute Teacher Certificates. Once all of the steps below have been completed, the Office of Human Resources will review all items and submit to the Union County Superintendent's Office for processing. The county review process can take up to 3 weeks. Applicants can be contacted by phone or email when Substitute Certificates are available for pickup at the Office of Human Resources.

All applicants must complete the following:

  1. Obtain Criminal History Clearance through NJ Dept of Education (Click here for Instructions).
  2. Obtain official, unopened College Transcript(s) showing at least 60 college credits. [New Applicants ONLY]

    Applicants who are renewing their Substitute Certificate do not need to provide transcripts again as long as they received their original certificate through Union County. If applicants received their initial Substitute Certificate from another county, he/she is required to provide official transcripts for processing as an initial certificate through Union County, not a renewal.

  3. Complete the New Jersey Substitute Teacher's Credential Application (click here).

    This form is also available at the Roselle Board of Education Office of Human Resources.

  4. Complete Substitute Oath of Allegiance for either US Citizens (click here) or Non-US Citizens (click here).

    If you are a US Citizen, complete the first form. If you are not a US Citizen, complete the second form. These forms are also available at the Roselle Board of Education Office of Human Resources. The Oath of Allegiance must be signed in the presence of a Notary and notarized.

  5. Obtain a Money Order or Cashier's Check payable to the Commissioner of Education in the amount of $125.00 for the application processing fee.

    The Union County Superintendent’s Office only accepts money orders and cashier's checks as forms of payment. Additionally, the Union County Superintendent's Office does not accept payments more than 30 days old. It is highly recommended that payments are obtained after the applicant receives the criminal history letters, college transcripts, and completes both the substitute credential application and oath of allegiance.

  6. Must provide original Substitute Certificate. [Renewals ONLY]

Applicants renewing their Substitute Certificate through Union County can to do so as early as 6 months prior to the expiration date up until 3 months after the expiration date. [For example, if a certificate expires on July 31st, the applicant can submit for renewal between February 1st and October 31st.]